Elmet Driver Training

07932438021 or 01977 681379



Getting Started With Elmet

Obtaining a Provisional Licence

EDT Video

In order to obtain a Provisional Licence, you will need to obtain and complete forms D4 (Medical Form) and D2 (Licence Application Form). These are available from us on request, or through the DVLA DirectGov website (additional forms you may find useful are available too). Provisional Licences are now provided free of charge.


This can be arranged with your GP, who will charge for this service. The GP must fill in the Medical Form obtained above, and submitted together with your Licence Application Form. Alternatively you can visit http://www.driversmedicals.com/ for a cost effective medical at £49. If you prefer we would be happy to arrange your medical at a local GP surgery in Sherburn.

Theory Test

From 4th August 2008, the LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) and PCV (Passenger Carrying Vehicle) theory test was changed to form part of the Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) and was divided into two modules - the first module being the Multiple Choice Test (MCT) and the second being the Hazard Perception Test (HPT). The two parts may be taken at different times but both must be passed to achieve a valid theory test pass. If one of the modules is failed, you need only retake that module and not the whole test.

Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence)

From 10th September 2009 (LGV - Large Goods Vehicles), new drivers will have to undertake the new Initial Driver CPC. If you have the category C1 on your licence you will be exempted from the initial CPC.

Driver Training

With the Theory Tests out of the way, book an Assessment driving lesson to obtain an exact course cost / duration evaluation that is right for you. It also offers you the opportunity to visit our company to see what we have to offer, and also take the wheel and get a feel for one of our training vehicles before booking the course.

Before you begin your Driver Training with Elmet Driver Training Ltd, there are a few things you need to do before climbing into the cab of one of our training vehicles. We've set out below the correct course of action you should take to ensure that all the paperwork is in order before beginning your course.